ilDÁNA is designed to enhance the TG4 schedule by supporting the making of an ambitious and cinematic long-form documentary on the arts in Irish. A budget of €120,000 will be made available by the partners for this landmark documentary which will have a theatrical window before its broadcast in a primetime slot on TG4.
Applications must be made through TG4’s E Coimisiún TG4 no later than 17:00 on Friday, 31 January 2020.
Guidelines for ilDÁNA 2020:
- Films commissioned for ilDÁNA will provide a definitive creative treatment of their arts subject. All artistic disciplines will be considered. Contemporary subjects are preferred but contemporary treatments of historical works/subjects may also be considered.
- One film will be funded with a budget of up to €120,000. It will launch with a dedicated cinema screening and will have a theatrical window before broadcast to a primetime TG4 audience in 2020 / 2021.
- TG4 will administer the commissioning process of ilDÁNA films, TG4 will issue contracts and TG4’s ‘Terms of Trade’ will apply.
- Representatives from TG4, the Arts Council/An Chomhairle Ealaíon and an independent assessor will make the selection for ilDÁNA.
Applications must be made through TG4’s E Coimisiún TG4 no later than 17:00 on Friday, 31 January 2020. Incomplete or late applications will not be accepted.
- Film duration: feature length
- Production Budget: Up to €120,000 per film
- Format: HD with English subtitles
- Language: Irish or bilingual
Applications for ilDÁNA must include the following:
- A synopsis of the ilDÁNA film
- A detailed treatment of the proposal
- A description of the intended creative approach
- An audience strategy that identifies the film’s national TV audience plus any plan for theatrical exhibition (film festival/cinema) if applicable
- A detailed production budget and budget summary (including music and subject
clearances, deliverables and marketing materials)
- CVs of the creative team involved in the proposal including director, producer, writer, editor
- Evidence of ownership to include copies of all option and writers’ agreements entered in respect of story and script, if applicable to the project
- Written confirmation in the form of clearances and permissions of key subject’s willingness to participate, where applicable
- Three excerpts of the director’s work (not showreel) that inform the proposal
- Any other relevant supporting materials that inform the creative approach for the proposal.
TG4 and the Arts Council/ An Chomhairle Ealaíon
- encourage the employment of film practitioners working through the Irish language;
- involve gender equality both in terms of contribution and production personnel;
- require the provision of equitable conditions and fair remuneration for artists involved in the making of the ilDÁNA films.
ilDÁNA films will be selected based on:
- the artistic vision of the applicant and his/her creative approach to the proposed subject
- the feasibility of the proposal in the context of the objectives of IlDÁNA
- the track record of the applicant
- the extent to which the proposal promotes gender equality in terms of contribution and production personnel.
Additional funding (up to €5K per successful project) may be made available to support theatrical exhibition where a convincing audience strategy is proposed.
Shortlisted applicants will be invited to discuss their proposal towards the end of February 2020. The award for the series will be made by TG4 and standard commissioning terms will apply to the production agreement. It is expected that projects will be completed and available for broadcast on TG4 in 2020 / 2021.
Applicants must comply with all relevant statutory obligations.
All contracts will depend on provision of a Tax Clearance Certificate from the Revenue Commissioners.
Candidates are informed that the information provided may be disclosed to the public under the Freedom of Information Act.
There is no agreement – or any other type of contract – until a formal contract is written by or on behalf of TG4. Copyright for the film rests with the producer.